Friday 16 February 2018

Starship Terrain Building

WW2 is my main gaming period, and it could keep you busy for a lifetime I think, but I have a weakness for sci-fi gaming (and movies and books etc). As yet I haven't found the sci-fi game I really want to play, and in the past that's resulted in just writing my own...  that process is at work again, but as BG takes up most of my time, it'll be a slow-burner...

But, it something I really want to do, a sci-fi game, not sure at what size, maybe skirmish, or maybe a full battle game...

So, with a view to this as 'medium-to-long-term' plan, I've started thinking about and collecting terrain and a few models. One thing I've always wanted, back to my first start in sci-fi gaming back with 40K in 1988 (actually we played a bit of Laserburn before than too, which is fondly remembered), is a spaceship. A model of one, as terrain... so you can do a cool spaceport...

So I started one... raiding deep into the shed-bits box, and using a broken nerf gun (there are way too many nerf guns in this house anyway). I've always been a fan of Jerry Anderson, not so much the stories, but the models and design work are tip-top, so taking his work as inspiration I've had two Saturday afternoons with the superglue out, the football on the radio and some seriously glued-up fingers by the end. The joy...

I have a vague memory of doing this, bits-bashing a spaceship, back when I was about 10, trying to make something that looked like it could be in Star Wars... funnily enough I'm no Industrial Light and Magic. Shoe boxes and toilet rolls don't cut it... but I did ask my Mum if I could take the hoover apart, as some bits and attachments would make good engines... funnily enough, with some unreasonable excuse, it wasn't allowed, and my spaceship was rubbish. Anyway, no hoovers were damaged in the making of my ship (so far)... although the side engines are the old thermostatic valves from the radiators.

Still more to add, and huge paint job, but grey spray primer and black washes are my friends here...



Serious depleted the bits boxes... next up a heavy black and grey spray paint.

1 comment:

  1. Respect
    Looking forward to seeing the "Next Step"
    No matter what anybody else says it is a thing of beauty ;)

    ReplyDelete